Thursday, June 14, 2007

Natural Feeding, where do I start?

I've done lots of reading, there are many sites out there. I have found several threads on various ferret forums where this topic is discussed.

One of my favorite articles on the subject was the Bob Church series on the FML from 2003. It was actually this article that convinced me to try switching the 6 Pack over. I gathered from this article that chicken necks might be a good place to start.

After work one night I went in search of chicken necks and found out that these are not something I can just pick up at the grocery store. Silly me! I did find turkey necks, but opted for some chicken legs instead.

Now I wasn't completely comfortable with the thought of raw chicken so I boiled the legs for a few minutes something that was mentioned in the Bob Church series. I still pulled the meat off the bones and instead of making the soup the ferrets are used to I just made it chunkier instead.

The results were really mixed, everyone checked it out and sort of nibbled at what I served. It looks like Cracker Jack and Moki were definitely enjoying the meal.

Not bad for a first attempt I guess.

No comments: